Can Lemon Water Help You Lose Weight?

There have been many claims about the effectiveness  of a lemon juice diet, where a person takes a squirt of lemon juice in flat warm water in morning daily to effect weight loss. Are these claims true? It would seem so in the light of evidence pertaining to the effectiveness of lemons in improving digestion and helping the body regulate the absorption of sugar. That’s not all, it has also been found that Vitamin C is a great asset to anyone who is serious about weight loss simply because it helps the body absorb calcium into its fat cells, which in turn helps you lose weight.

How Does Lemon Juice Help Weight Loss?

It’s amazing how a simple fruit like a lemon can be so effective in helping the body regulate its metabolism and sugar absorption, in a manner that helps you lose extra weight. The secret lies in the “acidity” content in a lemon. Lemons are rich in citric acid, so when you take a glass of lemon juice in plain warm water first thing in the morning, you introduce healthy natural digestive aid into your stomach. The citric acid, from lemons, end up interacting with the other acids and enzymes in your digestive tract which results in a healthy and problem free digestion.

Lemon water picLowers Absorption of Sugars: It has been studied that even a little lemon can help you lower the absorption of sugars from the food you eat simply because of its high acidic content. You can go one step further and eat some lemon peels along with the juice, this acts like a double whammy on weight gain, because the pectin present in the peels helps in weight loss by becoming a gel forming substance in your stomach which reduces the sugar absorption from the food you eat.

Researched Facts: A research at Arizona State University indicated that people who stock up on foods that are high in vitamins, such as lemons, oranges, grapes and kiwi fruit, as less likely to gain weight in comparison with people whose intake of Vitamin C is on the low side.

Helps Absorption of Calcium: It is well proven that lemon juice accentuates the acidity of the digestive system and this helps the body in the absorption of calcium from the foods you eat, and this calcium is then stored up in the fat cells. It has been studied that the more the calcium content in fat cell, the more its ability to burn fat. So this another benefit of lemon juice for weight loss.

How to Introduce Lemon Juice into Your Body?

There are many different ways in which you can introduce lemon juice into your body in a way that helps you lose weight. Some people propagate the use of lemon juice with apple cinder vinegar, while some swear by the effectiveness of lemon juice in honey, with warm water, for weight loss. All these methods are usually tried and tested and its effectiveness is not in doubt. Whether you drink lemon juice with plain warm water or you mix it up with other natural ingredients like honey, it’s effectiveness remains the same. If you are serious about weight loss, then you need to befriend the lemon. Lemon water helps you lose weight naturally and helps your body improve its immunity and digestion as a bonus.

© Outofstress.com

142 comments

• Taylor says:

Fatima, I would suggest not allowing yourself to have only fruit, I love fruit and eat a ton of it but eating only that can cause problems later. if you only eat fruit and then get to the weight you want, and then if you start eating more than just fruit, you will just gain it all right back. Just make little changes, they make a BIG difference.

I did the lemon water diet with the fruit only breakfast for 1 week and I lost 4-5 pounds, so it does work! Having a high protein diet helps a lot!

• Nunya says:

I’m baffled at how many times the same question was asked and answered. Do people just post or do they bother reading the useful information others share from their own experiences? I’m not trying to be mean, but how can you expect to learn if you don’t read and/or use your instinct and common sense? Warm or lukewarm water is best. NO salt, NO sugar, NO coffee, etc. Simple: lemon and water. Be consistent and reap the benefits. Natural lemons, Not lazy concentrate. Geez!

• Samantha says:

how much lemon juice do you put in a 16.9 fl. oz. of water?

• Kristina says:

Hi Sana, warm water would be better and adding salt may not be the best idea since it can raise your blood pressure. Adding a very small pinch of salt would be fine. During the day we are constantly burning calories anyway, so that helps us to lose the fat. Also acai berries are meant to be helpful for losing weight, so maybe you can try that.

• Maria says:

i really want to lose my stomach fat and love handles in about one month. I am size 12 and I want to be a size 8-10; since my shorts don’t really fit anymore. Would the lemon water help me?

• Fatima says:

Hey guys, I just started my diet this summer and also started the fruit Cleansing diet so basically all I eat is fruit and drink water all day and probably one meal and that’s it. I’m 15 5″5 and 200 pounds; my goal is to lose 30 pounds. Please I need help.

• Smriti Sukul says:

I’m staying in a hostel and there is no chance of having a walk in morning. And at 9:30 am I have my college till 4:00 pm. And with that I have to study full time under .pressure. Though I am drinking lemon juice daily in morning. So after all of these is there any chance of losing my weight? Please suggest me.

• sana says:

Hello friends, I don’t like plain water with lemon can I add salt for taste? Also which one is better? Cold water or hot water?

• Angelina says:

Wow. I now know what I’ve been doing wrong. I used to squeeze the lemon juice into rooibos tea and added sugar. That’s why I haven’t lost weight. Thanks for the tips. Hoping to lose weight before my 19th birthday next month. Thanks lemoneers!

• KP says:

To everyone asking if they can replace lime with lemon: Lemon has a lot more vitamin C than lime so lemon is definitely better.

Sandrine, Fresh lemons are definitely better than concentrates. Warm water is a good idea and adding honey is not bad as long as you don’t add too much of it. I prefer drinking my juice in empty stomach, so before or after jogging does not matter much. Hope this helps.

• Getting Fit says:

Will adding the juice of an orange to the juice of a lemon in a glass of water lessen the effect of the juice ?

• Jackie says:

Can I replace lemon with lime? :)

• Stephanie says:

When drinking lemon with warm water, how can I change my diet to lose weight faster?

• rollercoaster weight says:

Hi, I also have a few questions to as:
    Can I replace the lemon with lime?
    Can I mix the lemon (or lime if possible) juice with green tea? And what happens if you stop taking this juice?

• Sandrine says:

Great information everyone – thanks! Several questions:

1) I have the same question as Katelyn – does it matter if you drink the lemon water before or after jogging?

2) Does it matter if you use lemon juice concentrate instead of real lemons (which are very expensive)?

3) Is warm water better than cold?

4) Fruit only breakfast – can that include coffee with a small 20 calorie creamer?

5) Does adding honey help, hurt or doesn’t matter?

THANKS – Can’t wait to try this out! As I am 49 and just having a harder time staying in my preferred weight range as I get older, even though I do eat fairly healthily.

• Neha says:

Will it effect in bad manner if we drink milk after drinking lemon water with honey?

• Katelyn says:

Yesterday I went running for the first time in a month, and 3 miles slowly was really hard for me. After running, I began drink water with lemon juice and I did for the rest of the day. I ran again this morning, and 4 miles at a much faster pace was actually easy. I feel like I have more energy and I can already tell that I have lost a little weight. I am stunned by the results I have already seen. The extra energy I have is great and I will continue to do this. If anyone else runs in the morning though, I want to know if it would be better to drink the lemon water before I run or after, since I eat after I run.

• MA says:

I have just started 3 days back to take glass of hot water mixed with lemon juice after my small walk in empty stomach, will it help me to reduce my weight, is it the right way? Please suggest me.

• Taylor says:

Hi, I am a 16 year old girl and i weighed 185 in September of 2010. I now weigh 147 (on a good day) and just a few weeks ago I weighed 142 (even if it wasn’t a good day). I work out almost every day and I just cant get back down to at least 142, I want to be thinner through my stomach. I read in a magazine that the warm lemon water in the morning would help. Today was the first day I did that, but it wasn’t before breakfast (and how much do you need to see a difference). I have also heard that you are suppose to have a high protein breakfast. So now I am confused, a high protein breakfast or a fruit only breakfast?

• Candice says:

Teenager- remember that you cannot spot-reduce. You can exercise; eat right to reduce overall body fat, and you can do exercises that target thighs, but you cannot specifically get your body to only lose weight in a specific area. You sound like you’re doing good things for yourself, so the rest will come. Love yourself thighs and all when you feel good about yourself, positive changes just start happening.

• Evey says:

I use organic lemon juice in my water, is that effective as well? I usually drink it throughout the day in cold water but I will try it in warm water for a week starting tomorrow morning with the fruit only breakfast and see if I get results. I work out as well but my stomach area is the hardest part for me. I’m trying to get it flatter than it is. Not looking for a washboard but flat enough that when I sit down my stomach isn’t sitting too, Lol ( serious though).

• Chandni says:

What about black coffee in morning that too on empty stomach? Then going out for jogging. Then having lemon water? Is that okay?

• Tim (author) says:

Hi Lovinglemons, thanks for this wonderful input. Much appreciated.

• LovingLemons says:

Lemon juice in the morning helps with a lot of things primarily because when in the body, a chemical reaction happens where the citric acid components break down to magnesium and potassium, this is the super benefits from lemon juice. Adding sugar counters the effects, and makes the lemon juice useless for the most part. Orange juice isn’t a good substitute because of the high sugar content (doesn’t mean it’s not good for you). The best results come from freshly squeezed lemons and distilled water. Drinking lemon juice helps with sore throats, colds etc and yes, you can drink lemon juice if you have tonsils. What it does inside the body is amazing; helps bind calcium to fat cells so they burn off more quickly, detox the liver and gets the kidneys to flush out those toxins (newbies to lemon water will notice the first few days they’ll pee a lot, but it stops once the initial flushing is done). Lemon water neutralizes lactic acid left over in the muscles after exercise so there’ less pain, the list goes on. Lemons are dirt cheap! Just remember: lukewarm water or room temp is best for our body to absorb, before breakfast is ideal, but throughout the day is good, too; fresh lemons, not concentrated lemon juice bought in a store, and if possible distilled or ionized water is best! I found lemon water a bit bitter at first, but once my body pH adjusted, I was unable to get enough! I would drink in gulps instead of sips. Good luck!

• Silk says:

Don’t drink lemon juice straight. It has to be diluted in water or another liquid as it’s too acidic for the enamel of the teeth otherwise. It’s fine to drink it in hot or lukewarm water and some even suggest cold too.

• Sana says:

I have tonsils, so is it okay for me to drink lemon juice ?

• Sweta says:

How many times a day and at what time should we drink this? And how much time does it take for you to decrease your weight? Thanks (:

• helpindiet says:

Teenager you should try doing exercise for 20 minutes every day. I do that every day and in a week I lost 3-4 pounds. Hopefully this helps!

• Teenager says:

Hi- I’m fifteen years old and I am just trying to loose a little inner thigh fat that I have struggled with for a very long time. I have been dieting exercising and nothing is working. Every morning I will fill a glass with lemon water and have some in the morning before and after school. Thank you for the advice! If anyone has anymore advice for me, I am very willing!

• Tracy says:

Tee, DP__ I know you are probably busy, but include a 20 min walk each day, your heart rate needs to be up to loose weight successfully, I can promise you if you walk and drink the lemon water, it will shed them kilos. I am living proof.

• Tracy says:

Hi, I drink 3 liters lemon water a day, with daily exercise and I have lost weight. It is excellent for the immunity also.

• DP says:

I drink lemon + honey in warm water everyday morning in empty stomach, but I haven’t found any result till now. Its almost 1 month but no change in my weight, should I do anything else? Can anyone suggest me. Thanks in advance.

• jb says:

I drink lemon water daily twice and reduced 4 kgs! thanks!

• Tr says:

Can u use cold water instead of warm water?

• Eric says:

I buy undiluted lemon juice in a 2 liter container and add some to ice water several times a day.

• Anonymous says:

Drinking lemon water is so good for a lot of things. I used it to help with morning sickness when I was pregnant.

• Tim (author) says:

Tee – Drinking lemon water on empty stomach in the morning boosts your metabolism, improves your digestion and also improves the body’s ability to burn fat (due to the Vitamin C content). Apart from drinking lemon water, you could also benefit by following a “fruit only” breakfast every day. Focus on eating only fruits till lunch time, mostly citrus fruits like apples, oranges, kiwi, grapes and also some sweet fruits like papaya, water melon, pomegranates, mango etc. You can see some swift results with weight loss if you follow a fruit only breakfast regime, the results start showing up in a week’s time. Also cut down on the intake of table salt, refined sugar and refined flour.

• Tee says:

Hi all, I also love to drink lemon water but my challenge is that it changes nothing; I really need help guys, before I got married I used to wear size 10 but now I am close to size 14 within 6 month. I don’t have time to go to the gym due to my work and I have to stay at home and cook please help. I promise to take any advice.

• Tim says:

Skinner – That’s excellent. More power to you!

Mivan – Some excellent juices that can be had in the mornings, on empty stomach, are pomegranate juice, cucumber juice, orange juice, carrot & apple juice. These juices are great for improving digestion, metabolism and providing anti-oxidants that help heal the body. All these juices should be diluted with water and sipped in slowly.

• Skinnier says:

I drink ~6 bottles of water/day with lemon concentrate mixed in. In addition, I take a Biotin vitamin every day which promotes fat metabolism (good for your hair/nails also). This, in combination with a better diet and a little exercise (walks 1/mile/day), I lost 20 lbs. over 4-6 months. btw… I hear lemon juice detoxifies the liver… so it also helps if you over indulge on wine like I do sometimes.

• happy says:

Thanks for the advice, right now I am drinking a glass of water with lemons and love.

• Mivan says:

Cool, I have been drinking a glass of lemon squeeze (made with three fresh lemons) without sugar or salt for a week now twice a day. Every morning on an empty stomach and evening a few hours before my meal. And I got to say that it has improved my metabolism. I also feel more energetic when I got out to jog. What other juices do you think are good to drink in the mornings?

To Evita: It’s best not to do that as lemon is a diuretic and adding salt only lowers it’s functionality. Best to dilute lemon juice in water and drink.

• Evita says:

Can you eat the lemon with salt?

• Tim (author) says:

Yes it’s perfectly fine to drink the lemon juice by itself if you can, but it is always better to dilute it a little with water. This will make it easier to consume. Mixing the juice with honey is a good idea as well.

• r block says:

Is it ok for me to drink the lemon juice by itself?

• L. Vilneff says:

Rose, the best way to get used to lemon juice or lemon water is to begin with small or tiny sips; you’re not used to it so expect it to be sour and pucker. But please do keep with it until you’ve drank the entire glass or even 1/2 a glass to begin with.

Over time you will find that you can take larger sips more and more. And soon you will love lemon juice as much as we do. I hope this helped you Rose.

• Chaya Narayan says:

Today I will start my day with lemon water; let’s see in week how much weight I would lose!

• Tim (author) says:

Rose – have you tried adding honey to lemon water? It removes the citric taste and also adds flavor.

• Rose Mary says:

I find it very difficult to drink lemon water what should I do? Thanks for the advise.

• Kimi says:

I love drinking lemon water, firstly because it is so easy to make and secondly, I love the taste of raw lemon. I think the best way to drink this is to juice the lemon and then add water to fill up the glass. Just make sure to no add sugar. This is a great way to suppress your appetite. I generally start my day drinking lemon water and then going for a long walk. Follow this with a fruit only breakfast. I lost 5 pounds in a week of doing this and I highly recommend this to everyone.

1 2 3