Is Mustard Sauce Healthy?
Mustard usually brings up images of the yellow sauce that is spread over a yummy hotdog to give it the pungent and tangy taste, but taste is not the only quality that mustard possesses. Mustard seeds are known to be very healthy for the human body and the oils or sauces made from these seeds have several therapeutic health benefits.
Health Benefits of Mustard Sauce
Since ancient times, mustard has been revered as a healthy spice in India and other Asian countries. Mustard oil finds its application in most households in India, especially in preparing food items like fish and vegetable curries. The reason is simple, Mustard seeds are power packed with beneficial fatty acids like omega-3 and omega-6. In fact, Mustard contains 60% mono-unsaturated fatty acids and 21% poly-unsaturated fatty acids in the form of omega-3 and omega-6. These fatty acids are essential for the healthy functioning of the human body and are of utmost importance to maintaining good heart health.
Here are the other health benefits of mustard sauce or oil
- It helps reduce the LDL (bad cholesterol) component in our blood and increases the HDL (good cholesterol) levels. LDL is mainly responsible for narrowing down the arteries and causing heart diseases, so mustard helps prevent against such a condition.
- Mustard is known to be rich in Vitamin E which is good for your skin and hair health
- It is a great source of “selenium” which helps prevent colon & breast cancer, has anti-inflammatory effect and reduces the severity of asthma.
- Mustard is also an excellent source of Magnesium which helps lower blood pressure and migraine attacks.
- Mustard seeds contain phytonutrient compounds that help inhibit gastrointestinal cancer and is good for the overall health of the digestive tract.
- It’s also a great source of calcium and is a good source of phosphorous, manganese and iron. Mustard is also a good source of dietary fiber.
So mustard sauce is really healthy and you can feel free to apply good quantities of it on your hotdogs or meat to get the best of flavor and health. Just avoid sauces with high preservatives or high sodium content. You can also try the several recipes available to make mustard sauces at home to add flavor to various fish and chicken dishes.
Is Mustard Sauce Fattening?
The yellow mustard sauce, that you put on your hotdog, is a low calorie food. Unlike the other additives like Mayo, or Ketchup, these sauces are low in sugar, or unhealthy fats, and possess several health benefits. One packet of mustard sauce would contain only 3 calories and is power packed with essential fatty acids and minerals. So mustard sauce is not fattening but is definitely good for health.
In conclusion, one can add mustard sauce into their list of healthy foods and enjoy the flavor of this condiment. One can also incorporate mustard oil or mustard power in their diet to accrue the benefits of essential fatty acids present in them.
Additional Articles From "Food Facts"
- Health Benefits Of Coconut Flour
- Is Rice Milk Good for You?
- Foods that Help You Focus and Study Better
- White Rice vs Brown Rice – Which is Healthier?
- How Long Can Cooked Meat Be Left Out?
- Is Ham Good or Bad For You?
- Is Eating Raw Oats Safe?
- Is Unfermented Soy Bad for You?
- Are Potatoes Healthy For You?
- Is Hummus Fattening or Healthy?