Tuna sandwiches are a filling choice for a meal. They are full of protein and healthy omega 3 fatty acids. Unfortunately, they can also be full of sugar and high in calories, about half of which are from fat. The nutritional content can be even worse if you add lots of cheese to them as well. Homemade tuna fish sandwiches tend to be healthier than store bought ones, because you can control the proportions of what goes in them. Below is a basic healthy tuna sandwich recipe along with various suggestions to mix up the flavors to keep things fresh.
- 1 can of tuna in water
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill pickle
- Dash of salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
Recipe to Make Healthy Tuna Sandwich
1. Drain tuna and place in a bowl.
2. Flake the tuna with a fork.
3. Add the mayonnaise, chopped dill pickle, salt and pepper.
4. Mix well and set aside.
5. Toast the bread.
6. Spoon about half of the mix onto your bread and enjoy.
Notes on Tuna
When choosing a canned tuna it is important to choose one stored in water. Those stored in oil add unnecessary fats to your sandwich, without adding much flavor. If you cannot find tuna in water, tuna in brine is the next best choice. Give the tuna a rinse after draining and don’t add salt to your tuna mix to avoid consuming too much sodium.
Healthy Variations to the Tuna Sandwich Recipe
- If you want a ‘wetter’ tuna salad filling, add a tablespoon of plain yogurt.
- Substitute Miracle Whip for mayonnaise for a healthier filling.
- Try a new flavor combination by using 1 tablespoon of olive oil instead of mayonnaise.
- Use hummus in the place of mayonnaise for a more Mediterranean flavor.
- Try using a tapenade instead of mayonnaise, perhaps even half hummus and half tapenade.
- Add some chopped onion, celery, parsley or cucumbers for some crunch.
- Mix in the juice from half a lemon for a light, tangy flavor.
- Add a chopped hard-boiled egg for additional protein.
- Add some paprika or cayenne pepper for a bit of spice.
- Layer the sandwich full of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and/or avocado to get a serving of vegetables.
Tuna sandwiches are mostly healthy, but many people make them unhealthy by adding too much mayonnaise and salt to their tuna mixes. Remember the main flavor of a tuna sandwich should be the tuna, not all the add ins.