The occurrence of high blood pressure is usually followed by heart complication. Hence this discussion deals with both the causes of high BP and how Yoga can be used to cure them. It is important to understand that high blood pressure puts you at a risk when you perform certain yoga asanas which you should not be attempting.
For example, A person suffering from high blood pressure or heart problem should avoid performing Sarvangasana and Sirshasana as it can be extremely dangerous if not fatal in some cases. The condition of high blood pressure and heart problems are considered to be special cases in yoga along with the condition of Asthma. Patients suffering from these diseases should not be performing several Asanas and Pranayama techniques which are known to be harmful to their state of being.
Yoga to Lower High Blood Pressure
High blood pressure in your case could have been instigated by stress. A negative state of mind is usually followed with irregular breathing usually in the form of short and shallow gasps. This irregular breathing works to reduce blood flow to vital organs and makes the heart work harder to achieve circulation.
Irregular blood also atrophies certain blood vessels and causes them to become narrow through cholesterol deposits. These narrow blood vessels instigate higher blood pressure in human body. The heart needs to pump blood at a higher pressure in order to push blood through the narrowed arteries.
The practice of the below mentioned pranayama and yoga asanas are highly beneficial to your condition of high blood pressure. Regularly practicing this regime would ensure that your blood pressure reaches normality.
1.) Pranayama: The pranayama exercises that help lower blood pressure are as follows:
- Rhythmic Breathing
- Nadi Shodhana (but without breath retention)
Both the above breathing exercises should be performed without any breath retention. The breathing should not be interrupted or paused. The practice of Nadi Shodhana is known to show extremely beneficial results in patients suffering from high blood pressure
2.) Yoga Asanas: The below yoga asanas should be performed by patients to lower high blood pressure.
- Padmasana: You should perform the pranayama techniques mentioned above while you maintain this posture. Padmasana generates an equilibrium between mind and body. You will feel relaxed and stress free after the practice of this Asana
- Vipartiakarani: This inverted posture ensures improved blood circulation without putting any undue stress on your blood vessels and heart.
- Savasana: This is a very relaxing posture and the practice of this asana ensures that your mind is free of thoughts and hence is relaxed. People who are adept at this Asana find it easy to stay relaxed under the most stressful situations. This is great a yoga pose to lower blood pressure.
Yoga For a Healthy Heart
The following pranayama and yoga asanas should be performed to ensure excellent heart functioning.
1.) Pranayama: The following breathing exercises should be followed
- Rhythmic breathing
2.) Yoga Asanas: The following yoga asanas should be performed daily in the morning on empty stomach.
- Sirshasana (in consultation with a yoga teacher)
The practice of Uddiyana yoga massages the heart muscles causing stimulation. Sirshana induces increase blood flow through the arteries (this should be avoided in case you are suffering from high blood pressure). Savasana induces relaxation.
So these were the yoga poses that help lower blood pressure. Please do not attempt any of these poses without proper consultation with your physician and a yoga instructor.