It can be hard to know what to say when somebody is stressed out.
Even with the best intentions, we can sometimes make people feel even worse. This is especially true when we use words like ‘it’s not that bad!’ or ‘chin up, you’ll be fine.’
We might use these words because we want to help, but the last thing stressed people want to hear is that their feelings are not valid.
Another mistake a lot of people make is trying to fix the problem.
‘You should just do…’ or, ‘Why didn’t you…’ are not what a stressed-out person needs or wants to hear. Most people just need to feel like someone is there to listen; they don’t need you to try and fix their problems.
Occasionally, giving advice might be appropriate. But it’s always best to ask permission first. You can do this by saying, ‘would you like me to help you think of some solutions, or do you just need me to support you by listening?’
Don’t worry about getting it perfect right away. Communication takes a lifetime of practice! But if you’re wondering what encouraging words you can safely say to a stressed-out person, here are some ideas!
42 Encouraging Words For Someone Who Is Stressed Out
1. You don’t need to explain yourself to anyone ’cause other people only understand from their level of perception. You are doing the best you can, and that’s enough.
2. You make progress every single day. It might not always feel like it, but you are getting closer to your goals with every step you take. Everything will workout for your highest good.
3. Don’t worry about getting it right or doing “it” perfectly right now. It’s okay to take it slow. Just keep at it, and soon, all the answers will come to you and you’ll be glad you didn’t give up.
4. I’m so proud of you, and I still will be proud of you no matter how this pans out.
5. You have already achieved so much, and you are going to achieve so much more.
6. You’re doing a fantastic job. If you need someone to delegate anything to, I’m here to give you a hand.
7. You’re going to get through this and it will just be a memory soon. That doesn’t make this any easier, but I promise that there is light at the end of the tunnel!
8. You have a lot on your plate. Feeling stressed is perfectly reasonable and rational, so try not to beat yourself up on top of what you’re already going through.
9. All your emotions are welcome here. Please don’t feel you have to hide anything for my benefit!
10. Thank you for trusting me with how you feel. Is there anything else you’d like to share?
11. Stars shine brightest in the dark. This is a difficult time, but I know your determination is going to shine through.
12. I have every faith that you will succeed. But if for any reason it doesn’t work out, I’ll still be here to support you.
13. It’s totally understandable to feel overwhelmed. It doesn’t make it any easier, but please know that you are not alone.
14. You are powerful. You have everything in you to get through this temporary situation and you will come out a winner. I believe in you.
15. I love/respect you for so many reasons. The outcome of this situation isn’t going to change that.
16. You don’t have to talk about it until you feel ready. When you do, I’ll be right here!
17. This situation is tough, but so are you. I know you can get through this.
18. Is there any way I can take some of this stress off your shoulders? Please be specific, so I can come through for you.
19. You’re doing your best. You’re going to make something wonderful of yourself. I promise.
20. I love you, and I’m in your corner. I know you can get through this.
21. The world is better with you in it. You matter, and you make a difference.
22. Can we just take a moment to acknowledge how much you’ve achieved?
23. You are an unstoppable force. I feel sorry for anyone who would stand in your way!
24. You have come so far already; the summit is in reach!
25. Even if it doesn’t work out how you imagine, you will learn from this and become even stronger.
26. I know that you can turn anything thrown at you to your benefit.
27. Other people aren’t your competition. They are proof that you can do it too, and I know that you will inspire others with your achievements one day.
28. It doesn’t matter how many times you fail. It matters how many times you get back up again, and I’ll always be there to offer you my hand.
29. You are an incredible person who will achieve incredible things. There’s no doubt in my mind that you can get through this.
30. I assure you that this is temporary and you will come out of this even stronger, roaring like a lion.
31. You don’t need to be perfect; you just need to do your best. Nothing can stop you when you are at your best.
32. Feeling like this doesn’t mean you’re failing; it’s just part of the journey. You’re going to have ups and downs, and that’s okay.
33. You are taking all the right steps and you are going in the right direction, on the right path. Please keep at it, you will surely reach your destination. I believe in you.
34. You are so loved and appreciated. You have an army of people cheering you on.
35. It’s natural to feel how you do, but it won’t last forever. I promise that there is calm and success on the horizon! I know that you can do this.
36. If it were easy, everyone would do it. But this isn’t easy, and you aren’t just anyone!
37. If it all feels too much, just slow right down. Try to take one small step in the right direction today, and at least you know you’ll have made progress.
38. Whatever happens, I know you’re resilient enough to pick up the pieces and build something beautiful.
39. You are enough as your are. You don’t have to prove anything to anyone.
40. I can give you space, or I can be right by your side. Just let me know what you need.
41. Just think of how far you’ve already come. I’m so excited to see where you will be a year from now!
42. I know deep within that out of this only good will come and this situation will only make you more powerful.
I hope you found these messages helpful!
I know that it’s tempting to try and fix things for the people that you care about, but most people just need to know that they are supported. The words I made in this article will all offer encouragement, without invalidating how a person feels or making them feel unheard.
If you are looking for shorter messages, please read our article, 18 Short Mantras for Stressful Times to get more inspiration.