Not feeling sleepy? The number one reason why the feeling of sleepiness eludes you is stress. And one of the main factors that is responsible for stress is your recurring thoughts.
When your body is stressed, there is accumulation of the hormone cortisol in your bloodstream. And cortisol blocks the production of melatonin, which is the hormone responsible for sleep. Melatonin makes you feel drowsy, it is a natural relaxant.
So the best way to feel sleepy is to consciously tone down the thoughts in your mind and shift your attention toward relaxing your body. The more you relax, the more easily sleep with come to you. This is why, you cannot ‘try’ to sleep, because, trying is not relaxing. When you try, there is effort involved which actually keeps you awake. The only way is to allow sleep to naturally come to you.
15 relaxing quotes to help you feel sleepy
The following is a collection of deeply relaxing and soothing quotes to help you fall asleep.
Dim the lights, also dim the brightness of your computer or mobile screen and go through these quotes with a relaxed mind. These quotes are not only soothing to read, they are also presented on beautiful images of nature most of which depict the moon, rivers and trees that have been known to have a relaxing effect on the mind.
As you read them, you will tune into their frequency and your body will start to relax and you will slowly start to feel drowsy.
1. “Put your thoughts to sleep, do not let them cast a shadow over the moon of your heart. Let go of thinking.” ― Rumi
2. “Give yourself up to the beautiful intoxication of the sleep. Let it draw you away from the world of thoughts to the world of beautiful dreams.”
3. “Let the night take you. Let the stars evaporate into your dreams. Let sleep be the only comfort for you to believe.” – Anthony Liccione
4. “I love the silent hour of night, for blissful dreams may then arise, revealing to my charmed sight, what may not bless my waking eyes.” – Anne Brontë
5. “I like to hear a storm at night. It is so cosy to snuggle down among the blankets and feel that it can’t get at you.” – L.M. Montgomery
6. “Sleep is my lover now, my forgetting, my opiate, my oblivion.” – Audrey Niffenegger
7. “Sleep, sleep, beauty bright, dreaming in the joys of the night.” – William Blake
8. “The best bed that a man can sleep on is peace.” – Somali proverb
9. “Inhale and hold the evening in your lungs.” – Sebastian Faulks
10. “Feel the night; watch its beauty; listen to its sounds, and let it slowly carry you away into the land of dreams.”
11. “Take a deep breath; relax and let go of your worries. Let the soothing essence of the night permeate and cleanse your entire being, slowly drawing you into deep, relaxing, slumber.”
12. “Take a deep breath. Inhale peace. Exhale happiness.” – A. D. Posey
13. Don’t you simply love going to bed. To curl up warmly in a nice warm bed, in the lovely darkness. That is so restful and then gradually drift away into sleep… – C.S. Lewis
14. “Happiness consists in getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing else.”
15. “Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream” – John Lenon
Hopefully you are starting to feel drowsy after looking at these soothing quotes. Remember, the best friend of sleep is a relaxed mind and body and its worst energy is a stressed out body and an overworked mind that is filled with thoughts. So whenever you are not feeling sleepy, try to relax your body and let go of your thoughts. A few deep breaths should easily help you achieve this and so will a bit of meditation.
If you found these quotes soothing, then do check out this article with 18 more relaxing quotes just like the ones here. Have a good night!