Chakras are energy wheels located along the length of your spine. They correspond to the colors of the rainbow, and when blocked, can bring about both physical and emotional issues: think apathy, fatigue, irritability, and headaches, to name a few.
In a pervious article, we saw how you can use Journaling to heal your chakras. Another powerful way to balance, open and heal your chakras is to chant mantras or affirmations.
In this article, you will find a generous list of short yet powerful mantras which you can use to balance and heal each chakra.
You can pick your favorite mantras for each chakra (the ones that resonate with you) and try chanting them silently or out loud during meditation, or whenever you feel like. You may even write them on your bathroom mirror or as posters so they are always available to you. To make this more effective, try focusing your attention on the chakra area while chanting the mantras. For instance, if your are working on your sacral chakra, focus your attention in and around your abdominal area.
Beej Mantras: Along with mantras there are also sounds associated with each mantra. These sounds are called the Beej Mantras (Beej stands for seed in Sanskrit) or Seed Syllables.
For example, the sound LAM (pronounced as Laahm) is associated with the Root Chakra. You can either repeat this sound and chant LAM, LAM, LAM.. (as fast or slow as you want) or draw out the sound slowly for the duration of your breath like ‘Llllaaahhmmm’ and repeat it that way. Be mindful and feel the vibrations that these sounds produce in your body. You can consider starting with the Beej mantra before chanting the other mantras or affirmations.
The following list contains a Beej mantra as well as other mantras specific to each chakra.
1. Mantras for Root Chakra (Muladhara)
The root chakra, associated with the color red, sits at the base of the spine, and houses our feelings of safety, security, stability, and belonging. This includes financial stability, as well as feeling at home in our bodies and on mother Earth.
Connection with the Earth, seated meditation, and using black or red crystals are all ways to heal the root chakra.
Try using these mantras while working with your root chakra:
- Lam (seed syllable)
- I have.
- I am safe in my body.
- I have everything I need to survive and thrive.
- I am grateful for financial abundance.
- I feel connected to mother Earth and her energy.
- I am grounded, at peace, and at ease.
- I love and accept my body.
- I feel at home in my body.
- I feel at home on mother Earth.
- I release worry and call in stability and gratitude.
- I trust myself to take care of my needs, both physically and financially.
- I love being in the human body.
- I am physically and financially secure.
- My body is healthy.
- I am abundant.
- I am grounded.
- I belong here on Earth, within my social circles and family, and within my body.
- All is well in my life.
- I am present in each moment.
- I am stable and steady.
- I trust.
- I am one with the Earth.
2. Mantras for Sacral Chakra (Svadisthana)
The sacral chakra lies in the sacrum, which is a few inches below the navel. This chakra, associated with the color orange, is where our creativity and pleasure lives.
Being creative, fully feeling our emotions, and working with orange crystals can help to heal this chakra.
Try using these mantras while working with your sacral chakra:
- Vam (seed syllable)
- I feel.
- I feel creative energy flowing through me.
- I feel spirited, passionate, and alive.
- I feel abundant joy.
- I express myself in a way that feels amazing.
- My creativity is a divine gift.
- I am a desirable being.
- I feel present with my five senses.
- I enjoy the pleasure of using my five senses.
- I put beautiful energy out into the world.
- I am a work of art.
- I enjoy playing, and I feel playful often.
- Pleasure is my birthright.
- I am passionate.
- I am creative.
- I love my emotions.
- I feel my emotions, rather than pushing them away.
- I love my life.
- I am inspired.
- I am joyful.
3. Mantras for Solar Plexus Chakra (Manipura)
The solar plexus chakra is associated with yellow and gold, and it sits just underneath our breastbone. This chakra is the center of our confidence and willpower– i.e. the ability to stand up for ourselves and follow our deepest desires.
Working with yellow crystals, as well as asserting our boundaries or doing core exercises, can help to heal this chakra.
Try using these mantras while working with your solar plexus chakra:
- Ram (seed syllable)
- I can.
- I stand up for myself and assert my boundaries.
- I can manifest anything I desire in life.
- I am strong, powerful, and confident.
- I am assertive when I need to be.
- I can achieve my dreams.
- I am bold.
- I release shame and call in empowerment.
- I am empowered.
- I am capable and competent.
- I accomplish my goals with confidence.
- I am motivated.
- I am worthy of respect.
- I can design my life.
- I am taking my power back.
- I release that which does not serve me.
- I am courageous.
- I have the courage to follow my dreams.
- I release criticism towards myself and others.
4. Mantras for Heart Chakra (Anahata)
The heart chakra is located in the chest, and is associated with the color green. It is the center of our love and compassion.
Practicing loving kindness meditations, practicing heart-opening yoga poses such as camel pose, and using green or pink crystals can help to heal your heart chakra.
Try using these mantras while working with your heart chakra:
- Yam (seed syllable)
- I love.
- I love myself fully and unconditionally.
- I see divine light in every being that I meet.
- I love my life and all of its blessings.
- My heart is full of gratitude, love, and peace.
- I am surrounded by love in many different forms.
- I am worthy of deep, divine love.
- My heart is open and loving.
- I lead with love and compassion.
- I forgive myself and others.
- I live in a state of grace.
- I’m worthy of love just as I am; I do not have to earn love.
- I attract loving friendships and relationships.
- I am loved.
- I am kind and compassionate.
- I open my heart to receive love.
- I have empathy for others’ pain.
- I care for and nurture myself.
- I fill my own cup first, before giving to others.
- Life loves me, and I love life.
5. Mantras for Throat Chakra (Vishuddha)
The throat chakra, located at the pit of the throat and associated with the color blue, is the center of our voice. It allows us to express our truth, beliefs, wisdom, and needs.
We can help to clear our throat chakra by speaking honestly, singing, and working with blue crystals.
Try using these mantras while working with your throat chakra:
- Ham (seed syllable)
- I speak
- I speak my truth.
- I express my wants, needs, beliefs, and boundaries.
- I speak boldly and confidently.
- My truth is divine and deserves to be heard.
- I honor my self-expression as a sacred gift.
- I speak with kindness and compassion.
- I live authentically.
- I am honest.
- I communicate clearly and powerfully.
- I love to share my wisdom.
- I am safe to express myself.
- I am an active, compassionate listener.
- I honor my inner voice.
- I say no when I want to say no, and I say yes when I want to say yes.
- I communicate with source, and source communicates with me.
- My voice matters.
- I am expressive.
- I am gentle with my words.
6. Mantras for Third Eye Chakra (Ajna)
The third eye chakra, associated with the color indigo, sits at the center of the forehead. This is where our intuition, inner guidance, and inner knowing lives; our third eye helps us to see through illusions.
Meditation, mindfulness, and working with dark blue crystals are all ways to clear this chakra.
Try using these mantras while working with your third eye chakra:
- Aum or OM (seed syllable)
- I see.
- I trust my inner guidance to assist me in my decisions.
- I see the truth.
- I and only I know what is best for me.
- I possess divine intuitive wisdom.
- I have faith in the divine.
- I have faith in my highest self.
- I follow my intuition.
- I can discern what is true from what is untrue.
- I can easily quiet my mind.
- I trust my choices.
- I have all that I need within me.
- I can see through illusions easily.
- I am insightful.
- I think clearly.
- I trust.
- I trust the path that I am on.
- I trust my abilities.
7. Mantras for Crown Chakra (Sahasrara)
The crown chakra is located at the top of the head, and is associated with the color purple. This chakra connects us to the Universe and our spirit guides, and helps us to receive the wisdom that we are one with God and with all beings.
Practicing letting go of attachment and rigidity, as well as working with purple or clear crystals, can help to clear this chakra.
Try using these mantras while working with your crown chakra:
- Ah (seed sylable)
- I know.
- I am one with all beings.
- I am one with the Universe.
- I invite the divine to work through me.
- I release all limiting beliefs.
- I am infinite.
- I am connected.
- I am divinity in form.
- I am light.
- I am peace.
- I am divinely protected.
- The Universe guides me every step of the way.
- Everything happens exactly the way that it should.
- I am complete.
- The Universe and my spirit guides are compassionate and wise.
- I am created in God’s image.
- I let my light shine.
- I am.
Mantras are great ways to open and heal your chakras. When you recite a mantra over and over again while being present and conscious of your feelings, the energy of the mantra permeates every cell in your body helping you heal and rejuvenate. Constant repetition also ensures that your favorite mantras get embedded in your subconscious mind and are always available to you when you need them.